The Practical Nursing Program is offered through the Centre for Nursing Studies. The Centre was established in 1996 and is operated by Eastern Health. It is a member of Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) and an associate member of the Canadian Association of University Schools of Nursing.
Approximately 70 students are admitted each September at the Centre for Nursing Studies. The program may be offered at sites outside St. John's subject to approval by the Board of the CLPNNL based on human resource need.
At the present time, the Practical Nursing Program is being brokered at the College of the North Atlantic's Corner Brook, Grand Falls-Windsor, Carbonear, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, and Clarenville campuses, with an annual intake of approximately 35 students per site.
For additional information regarding course offerings and the application process please contact the address below:
Centre for Nursing Studies
Practical Nursing Program
100 Forest Road
St. John's, NL A1A 1E5
Tel: (709) 777-8174
Fax: (709) 777-8176
2020 Testing Windows:
- September 7, 2020 - September 27, 2020
- November 9, 2020 - November 29, 2020
2021 Testing Windows:
- January 25, 2021 - February 14, 2021
- June 7, 2021 - June 27, 2021
- September 6, 2021 - September 26, 2021
- November 8, 2021 - November 28, 2021
Practical Nursing Re-entry Program
The Practical Nurse Re-Entry Program is an individualized program of instruction designed to meet the needs of practical nurses in the province who have not practiced nursing in the last five years. Successful completion of this program allows nurses to re-apply for licensure with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador (CLPNNL). This program is offered by distance and may be completed anywhere in the province. The following link will give you additional information about this program which is offered through the Centre for Nursing Studies:
Medication Administration Course
This program is designed to enable licensed practical nurses to acquire the necessary knowledge and practice expertise to safely administer medications. This program has received full approval from the College for Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador. The following link will provide you additional information regarding this course that is offered through the Centre for Nursing Studies:
Advanced Foot Care Workshop
This two-day workshop is designed to prepare nurses to perform advanced footcare techniques. Day One: seven units of theoretical information are reviewed, as well as a demonstration and return demonstration of foot care procedures. Day Two is spent performing foot care on residents in a long-term care setting. Students are exposed to clients requiring basic, as well as advanced foot care. Some of the advanced techniques include removal of calluses, corns, warts, etc.
A number of modules related to various competencies currently in the LPN Scope of Practice have been developed. These can be used by agencies for LPNs who graduated from programs before 1997 that did not include these competencies. These are: Male and Female Catheterization; Blood Glucose Monitoring; Gastrointestinal Tube Feeding and Nasogastric Suctioning; Initiation of Infusing Therapy; Initiation of Blood; Hyperdermoclysis; Suctioning; Oxygen Therapy; Oral Suctioning; and Wound Care. All modules contain a theory portion that learners must complete and be tested on and a clinical component in which learners must be supervised and tested on the particular skill or skills associated with the competency. Agencies requiring LPNs to perform these competencies as part of their scope of practice can obtain these modules from Continuing Nursing Studies at the Centre for Nursing Studies. For additional information about the competency modules please consult the Centre for Nursing Studies website at:
Post Basic Gerontology Program
This program is designed to enable licensed practical nurses to acquire the necessary knowledge and practice expertise to care for older persons in all health and health care settings. For additional information about this course please consult the Centre for Nursing Studies website at:
Post Basic Mental Health Program
This is a one-year program for LPNs designed to expand their knowledge and gain clinical expertise to care for clients with mental health and psychiatric problems in a variety of health care settings. The Program includes nine self-learning modules and a six-week preceptored clinical experience. LPNs currently employed in Mental Health settings are given the opportunity to apply for Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) upon entering the program.
Perioperative Nursing Program
The Centre for Nursing Studies will offer the Perioperative Nursing Program for Licensed Practical Nurses through a brokering arrangement with Grant MacEwan University. The course includes theory, clinical, and lab components. Learners will complete the theory component of this course via distance delivery format through print-based materials. The clinical component will include a three-month preceptorship experience in hospital operating room facilities. This course will be offered based on identified need.
Health Assessment Course
This is a four-month course designed to prepare licensed practical nurses to perform a multidimensional health assessment. This course consists of ten units or modules, three labs, and completion of a health assessment clinical paper. This course will be offered in September and January.
The Licensed Practical Nurses Act (2005) gives the CLPNNL the statutory responsibility to:
1) Set education standards for Licensed Practical Nurses; and
2) Evaluate and approve education programs in the province to determine that programs are in compliance with the standards.
The CLPNNL Board approved The Policies, Processes and Standards for Approval of Practical Nurse Education Programs in June 2017.
The approval process ensures that practical nurse programs are preparing graduates for safe, professional practice as outlined in the Entry-to-Practice Competencies.
The Centre for Nursing Studies (CNS), as the parent institution, is mandated to offer the PN Program provincially.
In addition, the Program is offered in various regions of the province through an agreement between the Centre for Nursing Studies and the College of the North Atlantic (CNA).
In 2019, the Centre for Nursing Studies, as well as the satellite sites at the College of the North Atlantic (Corner Brook, Grand Falls-Windsor, Clarenville, Carbonear and Happy Valley-Goose Bay), received a five-year approval rating, indicating that the Program was being delivered in accordance with the standards and criteria, and that graduates met the entry-to-practice competencies.
Five years is the maximum rating possible as outlined in The Policies, Processes and Standards for Approval of Practical Nurse Education Programs, June 2017.
The following list provides a sample of professional resources and learning opportunities for LPNs.
- Practice NL Continuing Nursing Education Portal https://www.med.mun.ca/nursingportal/
- Jurisprudence: The legislation and regulations governing the practice of licensed practical nursing in NL – LPN
- Scope of Practice - LPN
- Communications in Nursing
- Learning Nurse http://www.learningnurse.org/
- LPN Code of Ethics Learning Module https://learninglpn.ca/ecourses/ethics/videos/story_html5.html
- Study with CLPNA http://www.clpna.com/members/continuing-education/study-with-clpna/
- Scope of Practice RNs and LPNs 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lefe13cxKKA
- The Institute for Safe Medication Practices Canada https://www.ismp-canada.org/
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) https://www.ncsbn.org/index.htm
- Nurses Guide to Social Media https://www.ncsbn.org/NCSBN_SocialMedia.pdf
- Substance Abuse Disorder: Information for Staff Nurses https://www.ncsbn.org/SUD_Brochure_2014.pdf
- Understanding Substance Abuse Disorder: Online Learning Module https://learningext.com/nurses/p/substance_use_disorder
- Substance Abuse Disorder in Nursing: Video https://vimeo.com/74874802
- CADTH https://www.cadth.ca/
- Canadian Association of Footcare Nurses (CAFN) https://cafcn.ca/index.html
EH Webinar on Patient Safety and Risk Management Presented by Stewart McKelvey Lawyers; Webinar: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/6909546959664515331
- Test Your Knowledge: Regulating LPN Practice http://www.clpnnl.ca/regulatinglpnpractice/
- Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics Learning Module: https://secured.ibsltd.ca/pub/clpnnl/sopcoe/module/