The Practical Nursing Program is offered through the Centre for Nursing Studies. The Centre for Nursing Studies (CNS), operated by Eastern Health, was established in 1996. The CNS, located St. John’s, offers a variety of nursing education programs both on-site and by distance delivery.
The mission of the Practical Nursing (PN) Program is to prepare caring and professional practical nurses to practice in a wellness-oriented, client-focused and consumer-sensitive health-care system.
The program is delivered over 16 months and leads to a diploma as a PN graduate.
The program may be offered at sites outside St. John's subject to approval by the Board of the CLPNNL based on human resource need.
At the present time, the CNS Practical Nursing Program is brokered at the College of the North Atlantic's Carbonear, Clarenville, Burin, Gander, Grand Falls-Windsor, Corner Brook, St. Anthony, Bay St. George and Happy Valley-Goose Bay campuses.
All students in the Practical Nursing Program must demonstrate their capacity to meet the entry-level practical nurse competencies.
The Becoming a Licensed Practical Nurse in Canada: Requisite Skills and Abilities document provides potential practical nursing students with information on the requisite skills and abilities of a Licensed Practical Nurse.
For additional information regarding course offerings and the application process please contact the address below:
Centre for Nursing Studies
Practical Nursing Program
100 Forest Road
St. John's, NL A1A 1E5
CPNRE 2021 Testing Windows:
- January 25, 2021 - February 21, 2021
- June 7, 2021 - July 5, 2021
- September 6, 2021 - September 26, 2021
- November 8, 2021 - November 28, 2021
CPNRE 2022 Testing Windows:
- January 3, 2022 - January 31, 2022
- March 1, 2022 - March 31, 2022
- May 1, 2022 - May 31, 2022
- July 1, 2022 - July 31, 2022
- September 1, 2022 - September 30, 2022
- November 1, 2022 - November 30, 2022
For additional information on the CPNRE, visit www.cpnre.ca
Practical Nursing Re-entry Program
The Practical Nurse Re-Entry Program is an individualized program of instruction designed to meet the needs of practical nurses in the province who have not practiced nursing in the last five years. Successful completion of this program allows nurses to re-apply for licensure with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador (CLPNNL). The following link will give you additional information about the Practical Nursing Re-entry Program which is offered through the Centre for Nursing Studies Programs.
The Centre for Nursing Studies (CNS) also offers a variety of continuing nursing education programs and competency modules.
The Licensed Practical Nurses Act (2005) gives the CLPNNL the statutory responsibility to:
1) Set education standards for Licensed Practical Nurses; and
2) Evaluate and approve education programs in the province to determine that programs are in compliance with the standards.
The CLPNNL Board approved The Policies, Processes and Standards for Approval of Practical Nurse Education Programs in June 2017.
The approval process ensures that practical nurse programs are preparing graduates for safe, professional practice as outlined in the Entry-to-Practice Competencies.
The Centre for Nursing Studies (CNS), as the parent institution, is mandated to offer the PN Program provincially.
In addition, the Program is offered in various regions of the province through an agreement between the Centre for Nursing Studies and the College of the North Atlantic (CNA).
In 2019, the Centre for Nursing Studies, as well as the satellite sites at the College of the North Atlantic (Corner Brook, Grand Falls-Windsor, Clarenville, Carbonear and Happy Valley-Goose Bay), received a five-year approval rating, indicating that the Program was being delivered in accordance with the standards and criteria, and that graduates met the entry-to-practice competencies.
Five years is the maximum rating possible as outlined in The Policies, Processes and Standards for Approval of Practical Nurse Education Programs, June 2017.
The following list provides a sample of professional resources and learning opportunities for LPNs.
- Practice NL Continuing Nursing Education Portal https://www.med.mun.ca/nursingportal/
- Jurisprudence: The legislation and regulations governing the practice of licensed practical nursing in NL – LPN
- Scope of Practice - LPN
- Communications in Nursing
- Learning Nurse http://www.learningnurse.org/
- LPN Code of Ethics Learning Module https://learninglpn.ca/ecourses/ethics/videos/story_html5.html
- Study with CLPNA http://www.clpna.com/members/continuing-education/study-with-clpna/
- Scope of Practice RNs and LPNs 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lefe13cxKKA
- The Institute for Safe Medication Practices Canada https://www.ismp-canada.org/
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) https://www.ncsbn.org/index.htm
- Nurses Guide to Social Media https://www.ncsbn.org/NCSBN_SocialMedia.pdf
- Substance Abuse Disorder: Information for Staff Nurses https://www.ncsbn.org/SUD_Brochure_2014.pdf
- Understanding Substance Abuse Disorder: Online Learning Module https://learningext.com/nurses/p/substance_use_disorder
- Substance Abuse Disorder in Nursing: Video https://vimeo.com/74874802
- CADTH https://www.cadth.ca/
- Canadian Association of Footcare Nurses (CAFN) https://cafcn.ca/index.html
EH Webinar on Patient Safety and Risk Management Presented by Stewart McKelvey Lawyers; Webinar: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/6909546959664515331
- Test Your Knowledge: Regulating LPN Practice http://www.clpnnl.ca/regulatinglpnpractice/
- Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics Learning Module: https://secured.ibsltd.ca/pub/clpnnl/sopcoe/module/
- CLPNNL YouTube Channel: College of Licensed Practical Nurses of NL - YouTube